View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 09, 2019, 02:18pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebob21 View Post
Non sequitur storytime: I once took a play at home as BU after chasing a batted ball to the outfield.
I haven't done baseball in a long time, so I don't know if it's still the case. But when I attended a baseball camp years ago, this was the taught mechanic on a 90' diamond. Should the BU chase from A with no runners on base, and the ball is not caught, then the BU should hustle back in foul territory to take home should the BR eventually try to score. That's because the PU is way too deep into the infield for plays at second or third, and may not be able to make it all the way back to the plate. Since the BU has no other responsibilities after chasing, there should be no problem with him/her covering home while the BR rounds the bases.

But for softball, there should be no reason for the BU to cover home under two-man unless the PU blows a tire. The infield is small enough that the PU can adequately retreat home.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker