View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 07, 2019, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
I would not like my BU taking the play at the plate in a 2-ump system.
Non sequitur storytime: I once took a play at home as BU after chasing a batted ball to the outfield.

No one on, high school varsity game. Ball hit over my head down RF line. I take fair-foul, as I had pregamed with my partner. A diving catch attempt fails, and I signal accordingly. My partner goes to cover 2B, makes it about 3/4 the way to the pitching circle and falls down. The chalk monster got him, I guess.

The throw to 2B is wide, and the ball goes into left. BR doesn't break stride and rounds 2B with a full head of steam. I was 100 feet from home, but I can see that there is no way my partner is getting up in time to make any credible call. I bust in, headed for home about the same time the runner does.

I get a decent position of approximately point of the plate for a throw from left field with F2 positioned up the line about 10 feet. Throw is wide, the ball whizzed past my legs to the backstop, no call necessary. Weird play.