Thread: What do you do
View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 26, 2019, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
1. Why are you anywhere near the plate here? You've got a runner at third and the BR running to first base after a walk, chances are very good that the BR is going to continue to second base. You need to get into a position to see what that BR is going to do and be ready for a call at second if she continues, or a play at third should R1 stray too far. But even after getting cup-checked, you have to try your best to keep your eyes on any potential play. I'm having a hard time understanding how the bat hit you so hard that it knocked you down on all fours; what would've happened if you got nailed by a pitch? May be time for you to invest in a Nutty Buddy!

2. "Coach, she has to run to first base in foul territory within three feet of the line." No need to go into an in-depth conversation about the runner's lane until maybe between innings.

3. Candidly, you really shouldn't tell a coach you weren't in a position to see the play. That will undoubtedly lead to a response of, "Then GET into position, Blue!" Coaches don't understand how tough it is with one-man, and we add fuel to the fire when we give excuses that seem lame in their minds. Just tell the coach, "Coach, I don't have an out here, and there's nothing you can say that will make me change the call."
1) Having had these teams in the past, I know the likelihood that the runner will delayed steal home as soon as the ball leaves the catchers hand. I was trying to make sure I was in position to see the play at the plate. I could also get a decent line on a play at second from where I was had they attempted to make a play at second. Sometimes you umpire and officiate based on what the teams tell you.

As for how I got hit that hard, I'm not exactly sure, but thankfully I did have the cup on or I might still be on all fours.