View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 23, 2019, 09:08pm
TODO: creative title here

I got burnt out one basketball season a few years back.

I was working literally every single day. Usually HS doubleheaders (9a/9b, 10th/JV, or JV/V) Monday-Friday, 5-6 park board youth games on Saturday, and 4 adult men's wreck league on Sunday evenings... and I kept that schedule up basically from December 1st until March 1st. Ended up being 170ish games in about 80 days.

I made a crap-ton of money, and I lost about 40lbs without really trying to, but by the time the last weeks of the season came around I was tired, sore, and all around in "the hell with this" mode. It didn't help that my shoes really should've been replaced about 2/3rds of the way through the season, but I didn't buy new ones because "they can wait till next year".

After that, I decided something needed to change. I dropped the adult wreck ball (which I don't miss at all) and the weekend youth ball (miss working with the kids, definitely do NOT miss the parents and coaches). I told my HS assigner to limit me to 4 nights a week. At the end of the next season, I was actually sad after my final game. I took that as a good sign.

My advice: take some time away. Finish out any assignments you've already accepted (unless you absolutely, positively CANNOT EVEN anymore), but tell your assigner(s) that you need a break. When you come back, work back into it slowly (maybe 1-2 dates per week), and see how that goes.

We still need good officials, and even if you're only able to work a limited schedule that's better than nothing.

Good luck.