View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 19, 2019, 12:49pm
Stirrer of the Pot

I'm curious how much you work. I used to umpire college games starting in mid February, then the full HS season starting in March thru May with probably around five or six games a week. Then when summer/fall rec and travel started, I'd do a couple night games a week, and work a weekend tournament probably every other weekend until around late October.

Eventually I realized that I was just doing too many games, and being away from family too often. Between my work that included some pretty significant travel and all of these games, I was missing out on quality time with my wife and kids.

So I've scaled way back. Now I limit my college schedule to the occasional weekend (which assignors don't really like so I've been getting less and less games the last couple of years), my high school to no more than two nights a week when I'm not on travel, and only do a weekend travel tournament in the summer/fall once a month. I also take my mind off of games by doing more with my wife, which she appreciates (and causes less stress to me, knowing how upset she gets if I work games too often).

If you're schedule is packed with games, consider doing less of them. Or as others have said, take a whole season off. But if that's not going to help, then you probably have hit the wall, and it would be time to walk away.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker