View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 16, 2019, 11:39am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdoebler View Post
I will address a couple of points:
1. I understand the organic part but the group that we are addressing are mostly brand new. Some of these individuals don't pass the test and then literally never show up to work a game. They may not understand that they can work lower level games or even know how to sign up for them. If they never even start how can they get a mentor or get engaged? Sometimes just having someone to ask questions outside of a big group and not feeling dumb helps even the smallest hurdles.
I cannot speak for your area, but in my area, you cannot get a single game until you actually have a license. That means that no assignor is putting you on any game (High School or below) if you do not have passed a test, passed a state background check and watched the rules videos as apart of your application process. Until that is done, you are not working any games. No showing up to a game and not having passed the test.

Secondly, you are not working games if no one knows who you are. At least in the Chicago area or before the IHSA took over the Arbiter system (still some area pockets where the IHSA does not influence this yet), if you were not known to even be hired. The biggest way is to join a Local Officials Association on some level. In basketball, it is almost a requirement that you are a member of an LOA. Even the middle school games are assigned through local associations or an assignor that is a member of those LOA. They send out availability by LOA membership wide emails which if you are not a member you will not likely receive.

Quote:
2. We survey the mentors and mentees with a few questions to best fit personalities and feedback types.
OK, nothing wrong with that.

Quote:
3. The program is offered and we only pair those who ask.
OK, nothing wrong with this either.

Again, do not miss the point I have been making. I think the position that I was talking about doing this organically, it is better for me to help those that seek advice from me than me going to them on my own. I have been apart of programs where I am put with a person for all kinds of reasons, then when we try to share information, the person does little to nothing to reach out. I also work a lot as an official, so I am not always around. I cannot go watch your games all the time or even often. So if you do not give me updated schedules or do not contact me about things that you need help with, there is only so much I can do. I help those that want help.

Peace