View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 27, 2019, 04:45pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Bingo. Hit the nail right on the head.

We do not do things the same, we're very different.
That's what I meant in my earlier post.
I am glad you figured this out. You realize that people across the country do not work IAABO Mechanics. You realize that there are people literally that can read this board from all over the world, not just in your little corner. So when people talk about these things, they are not talking from your personal perspective. That should already be understood.

Quote:
Also, whenever I refer to "by the book", I don't always mean an actual written book, it could also refer to a set of unwritten guidelines, perhaps discussed at a meeting, or taught in a class, not everything is written down.
Do you think that others are not making a similar reference? Do you think the stuff I am talking about is only in a book? The specific thing I was referencing was not what I do as if I was alone. These are practices I speak are from all over the place. If you have different teaching that is fine and expected. I do not assume that all the officials that I work with from about 5 or 6 different states are the only officials on the planet.

Quote:
I have no knowledge of this being a NFHS mechanic, or if it ever was a NFHS mechanic. We've been using IAABO mechanics for many years here in Connecticut (some IAABO boards in other states still use NFHS mechanics).

For some reason, maybe coming from a NFHS background, this IAABO mechanic has been overlooked or ignored for many years here in Connecticut, and like JRutledge, I can count on one hand the number of times over the past forty years that I've heard an official sound a whistle before a free throw after a timeout. And those few times probably had something to do, as mentioned earlier by Raymond, with the band or music playing.

All of a sudden last year we were suddenly instructed (not sure by whom, international, state, or local) to follow the mechanic as outlined in the IAABO manual. Maybe it was a question on our local written mechanics refresher exam that was discussed at a meeting as being answered incorrectly on many exams?

It's still overlooked or ignored by most veterans, including yours truly. I actually tried it once last year, it seemed "weird" ("Hey everybody, look at me"). Maybe it will catch on after a few training classes are taught to sound their whistles in such situations?
But you went on an on about how I was somehow leading others into something, but the reality is that the very policy you referenced you are admitting that very few people follow? Surprise!!!!!

Peace