View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 27, 2019, 11:59am
Esteemed Forum Member

Face Of The Organization ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I do things that work, not things to satisfy some organization in or out of Rome.

Easy for you to say.

You're Mike.

In addition to being a highly respected and successful official (in multiple states, in multiple sports), aren't you a teacher/clinician in your local/state area?

If so, doesn't that make you the face of the "organization", a voice of authority, and one who sets the guidelines and expectations in your local/state area?

In most cases, wouldn't that mean that what "works" for you, will also "work" for all, and should be taught and passed on to new officials?

You're the leader, they follow, what you do (and teach) becomes the local/state "book".

Why would you teach something that you know won't "work" and that you wouldn't do yourself?

Set them straight.

Teach them what works for you, because it will probably, in most cases, also work for them.

When you're at the top of the officiating hill, as you are, it's easy to ignore advice from above, because there is no above.

You're the above (by both reputation and title).

You're "Rome".

You're the authority figure.

It's a different view from the bottom up.

Those below you, including new officials, should follow your leadership and sage advice, and at least initially, shouldn't be striking out with their own guidelines, especially when they have a great example in you to follow.

If they know what's best for them regarding how to move up the local/state ladder, they're probably all trying to "satisfy" you, their leader, their teacher, their example to follow, their voice of authority, and the face of the "organization".

If not sounding a whistle before a free throw after a timeout works for you, wouldn't it also work for everybody else, and wouldn't you teach that?

And then, wouldn't that become part of your local/state/Rome guidelines, maybe not in writing, but passed down by oral traditions, passed down by young officials observing you, emulating you, following your example, guidelines that new officials could follow to move up the ladder, certainly better than floundering around on their own with no guidance?

If I move out to the Midwest, and I'm encouraged to not sound a whistle before a free throw after a timeout, then I'm not sounding a whistle before a free throw after a timeout.

If not sounding is preferred by the teacher/clinician, who also happens to be one of the best officials in Illinois and Indiana, and it appears to be a "local custom", then that's good enough for me.

Why fight city hall?

What would be the point?

When in the Midwest, do as Midwesterners do.

(If the band is still playing when I'm ready to administer the free throw, then I hope that I could show some initiative and sound my whistle and not have it effect my evaluation that night.)

Note: Despite what I wrote above, I'm still a realist. We can still be successful in our locality/state by doing a few of our own things, our own way, not always "by the book" like robots, but it is nice to have a "book" to follow when we need it, especially when we're first learning something. I'm a retired teacher, over thirty years in the classroom. I hold all teachers (of any type) and all teaching/instruction in very high regard. Teaching and learning is always easier when there is a "book", written or otherwise, to learn common consistent basics. Students (of all types) look up to teachers and expect them to set them on the right path, and the smooth path, to learning and to also set a good example for students to follow. To do otherwise would be a disservice to the profession, and to the learners (students).
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Aug 27, 2019 at 01:50pm.