View Single Post
Old Fri Aug 23, 2019, 11:33am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Back to the original point. The ball was called foul by mistake. We all consider that a mistake that stands.

Even though review showed it was fair, would you change the foul call?

No!

Would you ignore the pitch as they did?

No!

That batter eventually singled, could have ended up scoring and did affect the batting order that inning and the next.

Anyone who saw the play, did you think the BR slowed down on the call?

No!
Now, my first two answers are based upon the way every other organization would handle this. Once the ball is ruled Foul, tough noogies that it could be shown that it was fair. The Foul call stands, and let's play. Sh!t happens.

You're last question is only relevant if you're considering to change the original call to Fair, and then want to "play God" in determining what should the final ruling be. I think the BR was toast on the play if he kept going at a dead sprint. It appears he might've slowed up a little bit, probably from seeing U1 mirror the foul call (which is a No-No to begin with; umpires should not be coaching base runners, that's what base coaches are for), but in my judgment it didn't change what I think the outcome of the play would be.

So if I was the replay official here and had people above me give me the authority to change a Foul call to Fair, I would've ruled the BR out, and let's play. Sh!t happens.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker