View Single Post
Old Fri Aug 23, 2019, 08:26am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
The umpires are volunteers, not pros.
All due respect, I get tired of that age-old excuse. They may not get paid to work LL games, but they're far from being the typical "volunteer" that you see on a Saturday morning in March at some local LL park. These umpires are have worked tens if not hundreds of games in any given season for quite some time. Many umpires also work paid gigs doing travel, high school, and even college games. They've attended plenty of camps and clinics. They know what they're doing out there. They don't need replay help for every single call.

I don't do LL anymore, and haven't in over ten years. So I don't bother knowing the replay rules for the post-season. Perhaps you are right that managers only get two "fails". But I've seen where the umpires will get together after a call and then consult the booth. For all I know, they may even get called to the booth when the replay official feels a wrong needs to be made right. Who knows. But what I do know is that they allow replays for calls that have no business being reviewed, and then they come up with such bogus decisions as a "do-over" to ensure nobody got hurt by the call.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker