View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 22, 2019, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
I watched a couple of innings of the Hawaii / Virginia game last night. Hawaii was up in the top of the sixth with runners on base. Batter hit a sharp bouncer over the third base bag and into the left field corner, scoring a couple.

Virginia manager came out to the PU to question the fair call. PU checked with the replay reviewer, then came out to home plate and pointed fair.

So apparently the LL replay rules for their post-season games do allow for review of fair/foul.

Frankly, LL's replay rules are a joke and are making these games unwatchable, in my opinion. Apparently there is no limit to the number of times a manager can request a review. I would say that almost 100% of banger plays and close fair/foul calls have gone through reviews.

It's gotten to the point where I question LL's faith in the quality of the umpires who work their regionals and world series. They are so paranoid that an umpire's call could result in a player or team being wronged that they're bending over backward to prevent it.

Mark my words: LL will implement the computerized strike zone that is being used in the Independent Baseball Leagues this summer. It is the one thing that LL still has to depend upon the umpire's judgment, and I'm sure they're cringing at some of the pitches that are being called strikes.
OP ball was called foul. Hawai'i (yes editor, the apostrophe is correct) game the ball was called fair and played as if it was fair so there was nothing to fix.

Manager can challenge until he gets two "fails".

The payers are 12, not pros. The umpires are volunteers, not pros. Accept that neither will be perfect and that the "get it right" approach is now in all sports - so replay will continue.