View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 21, 1999, 10:10pm
certified Hot Mom tester

quote:
Originally posted by Thom on 12-21-1999 08:25 PM
Since having the "T" called on the girl stepping OB from the lane, the rule now fascinates me. We have a baseline in-bounds play in which the in-bounder hesitates for a 3 count after throwing the ball in before she enters the floor. As you might guess, she is often open for the return pass and shot. Under the rule (delay in re-entering the floor) would this be considered a " delay in re-entering the floor to gain an unfair advantage"? I've never had it called but I certainly don't want it to rear it's ugly head at a bad time.

Under the rules, this is actually an easier technical foul call for me than the exiting the lane one. That is, if it is really obvious to me that she intended to gain an advantage by doing it, and that it was intentional (and not just that she "spaced out"). Of course, you might ask why the defense didn't decide to guard her after she came inbounds - after all, isn't that their choice and shouldn't they suffer the consequences of their own actions?

Gee - I guess it's not so easy a call after all

Actually, I have yelled at inbounders who stand OOB after inbounding to get on the court.

(notice I use the term "inbounder" not the official NF term "thrower-in" / every time I hear or read that, I want to "thrower-up)