View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 14, 2019, 10:20am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebob21 View Post
I'd love to see an official interp from TPTB in either USA or Fed.
Me too. I'm trying to convince another umpire who insists that any time the ball contacts the ODB, it should become dead. I personally don't think that should be the case since, IMHO, she has the same "status" as the base coach in terms of authorization to be on the field. If it's perfectly acceptable to keep the ball live when it hits the base coach through no fault of his/her own, then the same should be the case when it comes to the ODB. It would really surprise me if the official edict is that the base coach and the ODB are treated differently.

Tell me how this makes sense:

Scenario 1: Nobody on base. Batter hits a frozen rope to F9 who fields it on the hop. F9 throws to first base to play on the BR, and her throw is wide left. The throw hits the base coach and caroms into the dugout. Ruling: Ball remains live until it enters the dugout, and the BR is awarded second base (two bases from F9's throw)

Scenario 2: Nobody on base. Batter hits a frozen rope to F9 who fields it on the hop. F9 throws to first base to play on the BR, and her throw goes over F3's head. The throw hits the on-deck batter who is still in the circle and caroms into the dugout. Ruling: The ball is immediately dead when it hits the on-deck batter, and the BR remains at first.

I don't buy it.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker