View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 14, 2019, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

I'll accept this logic. The case plays and scenarios you gave sent me through both the ASA and Fed books. I'll grant that both codes authorize the on-deck batter to be on-field, although she doesn't have offensive status as either a runner or batter. I was working under the assumption that only batters, runners, and coaches were, to coin a term, "actively" in the game during a live ball. I can't find a rule to confirm that so specifically, so I won't assume it's true any longer.

If we grant that the on-deck batter is "in the game" by virtue of explicitly being permitted on-field (also exists in USA 7-1), then the blocked ball example is out. An on-deck batter who makes no act of INT, and touches a thrown ball, should be nothing; play on. However, I suspect that the "INT but no chance for an out" exception is both codes is what may be read as "any time the ball hits the ODB, it's a dead ball".

I'd love to see an official interp from TPTB in either USA or Fed.