View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 14, 2019, 08:54am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebob21 View Post
Fed: 2-5-3 On-Deck Batter - The on-deck batter is a player of the offensive team entitled to occupy the on-deck circle closest to her dugout.

2-2-3 Blocked Ball - A live ball touched by a person not engaged in the game (continues...)

2-64 Touching - Contact with the ball. There is no distinction between the act of touching and being touched (continues...)

5-1-1g If a thrown ball becomes blocked, award runners two bases from point of release (8-4-3e).

UNLESS the on-deck batter has committed interference (7-5-4); an ACT which hinders or impedes the defense (2-32) Simply existing is not an act. If the interference prevents an out, the runner being played upon is out. If no play was possible, runners return to last base at TOI.

Whew! Quite a ride through the book...back to your OP, yes (at least in Fed) any time the on-deck batter is touched by the ball it is an immediate dead ball. If it's not INT by the on-deck batter, award two bases from the throw. If there is an act of interference, the runner being played upon is out if the throw had a chance at a play; if not, runners return.
Thanks for your thoroughness. But my question is why even bring up the concept of a blocked ball? The ODB is engaged in the game, by virtue of her being allowed on the field, the same as a base coach.

If she isn't engaged in the game, why is there a FED case play that tells us she cannot wear jewelry while in the on-deck circle? Jewelry wear by players not engaged in the game is nothing. If an ODB cannot wear jewelry, then FED considers her as being in the game.

Therefore, when a live ball contacts an ODB, it cannot be a blocked ball, IMHO.

So let's look at the rule on ODBs in general. The sanctions pretty much align when they mention an ODB cannot interfere with a live ball. If she does and there's the potential of a play, it's a dead ball and the runner closest to home is out. If there is no potential play, it's a dead ball and the runners return to their TOI bases.

In my mind, that applies to when the ODB commits an act to interfere (I don't want to say she does something intentional because I know intent is not a factor). For example, a pitched ball rolls to her feet, and she picks it up and tosses it to the catcher. Or she's in a location where she shouldn't be, such as going to the backstop to retrieve a discarded bat, and an overthrown ball to home hits her. To me, those are appropriate reasons to rule that she interfered.

But if she's where she should be--in the on-deck circle or set up to direct a scoring runner--and a thrown ball that she has no idea is coming her way hits her, I believe the ball should be kept live and in play, the same as if it hits a base coach who is doing what (s)he is expected to do. I'm just looking (and having a hard time finding) where the rules treat the ODB and the base coach the same, which they should.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker