View Single Post
Old Sun Aug 04, 2019, 05:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Player989random View Post
Alright, let's make sure we're talking about the same thing here:

You work at X and live at H. You have a game at Z. Going from H to Z or from X to Z, you can deduct those miles. That isn't commuting, that's going to the temporary work station (which is the school, your meeting, camp/tryout, etc.). Doesn't matter if you're retired, a student, or a CEO.

Going from Z to H is the problem. Is going home work-related? What do you do at home that could be considered a valid business reason? If you can't give the tax man a solid answer (like I have a home office), it's a no, and you can't deduct the round-trip miles.

Now, is he really going to come for your log book and demand you open that up and explain everything? Maybe. Maybe not. I doubt he'll care for what you write-off, but no, round trip usually isn't deductible. That's why you have to play the game and make a BS company or an LLC and file extra paperwork.
Going from Z to H should be just fine as long as it's truly a temporary job location, not a 2nd job location, and you are employed with a regular job location outside the home. Home-based workers and retirees are out of luck, but for most of us Z to H is ok. I'm sure you've seen this chart before, right out of Pub 463.