View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 01, 2019, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Ahh, I understand, I think. You want to treat "illegal" as its own singular category that doesn't include altered or non-approved. I look at it the other way, where all three categories--damaged, altered and non-approved--fall under the umbrella of "illegal", with separate penalties for each.
Not that I want to have a singular category, but that the rules treat non-altered approved illegals with a separate penalty. And yes, the definitions and the illegal bat rule agree with your breakdown, but I was not trying to redefine, just identify.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
I suppose a fourth category of "illegal" would be a bat that simply doesn't meet the rules requirements of an official bat. For example, in NFHS play, an illegal bat would include:
- a bat with plastic tape on the handle
- a bat with a grip that extends more than 15 inches from the knob
- a bat with rosin beyond the grip
- a bat with a choke-up device
- a bat with one of those electronic bat-speed sensors that I think NFHS still treats as illegal since it is not permanently fastened

So any bat that has been modified (but not altered to improve its ability through structural change) so that it is no longer in compliance with NFHS 1-5-1 or 1-5-2 is one that goes from "approved" to "illegal".
I think you have answered my original question.