Thread: Missed Trip
View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 22, 2019, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdoebler View Post
A1 who is frustrated reaches out to grab the foot of B3 to trip him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
First of all, do not conflate the situation by adding more situations to your OP. And then you add things with the same standard for your OP because it does not fit your position. You also did not say tried to trip, you said they tried to grab. Those are two totally different things and circumstances. And it would be different if someone tried to grab someone than tried to trip someone and totally missed that one time. For one, players try to grab opponents all the time and miss and we do not call anything until they actually grab their opponents and we certainly do not call a T for the one and only "attempt."

I would assume if I saw someone try to trip someone the first time and missed, I probably would be talking to that player very soon so they know I saw them or what it looked like. And if they made contact, it would not be a T during a live ball for sure. At best it might be an "Intentional Foul" or maybe "Flagrant" depending on the severity of the action. But still not a T unless the ball was dead.

Now did you ask the question to be "right" or did you ask the question for opinions? Because you first came to this saying that this happened at an NCAA level, which the basic rules are not any different (at least with Men's Rules). Players fall all the time and in the attempt to get up they try to restrict the opponent on some level, sometimes with their legs or arms or even body. IF they "miss" and you call a T for that, it better be so obvious that if someone shows the tape there is no question. Often it is very subtle or questionable. I would rather call Ts for things that stand out so big that no one can question the situation if they saw it on video. Your description might have looked obvious, but was it obvious to everyone else? And it does not matter if this is an NCAA or high school game, the philosophy would be the same for me.

Peace
I did say specifically that he tried to trip him, highlighted above. I am looking for opinions of handling the situation. Appreciate if it is a T that anyone watching would agree and needs to be obvious on the tape, like that approach. Basically, pending any specific case play or ruling it comes to grey area officiating, what is the best approach to the situation? What rules can we apply to the situation and be supported? The answer maybe nothing, we have no penalty to apply within the rules, but would agree we are addressing the player at the first opportunity about the situation if that is the case. Thanks for any additional thoughts.