View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 25, 2019, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

A few years ago we had a similar discussion at an ASA training session. In this case, clueless F3 often just stood on first base and runners had to make their way around her. OBS was called several times with no apparent result.

Until one runner decided that the inside corner of the base was hers and she basically flattened F3 on her way by to second base. OBS was called on the play but BR made it safely to second base.

The question became what to do about the runner? F3 wasn't involved in the play, but was in the way of the runner. Can't call INT on the runner thus negating the OBS call.

Discussion moved to the difference between how NFHS handles such a situation since they do actually have an index reference for "Unsporting Conduct". ASA/USA does not specifically call out UC. NFHS has the appropriate penalty hierarchy of warning (if of a minor nature) or ejection (if repeated or serious enough the first time).

Sometimes at lower levels, players are more clumsy than malicious. That's where umpire judgment comes in. Perhaps travel teams should have higher expectations, but I've seen some pretty sorry travel teams.

If this situation was a "one of" in a game where there was no acrimony between the teams, and in a lower age group, I'd probably not jump straight to ejection.

And USA Softball doesn't even dwell on a definition of conduct or UC (that I could find). So it really does come down to the umpire's judgment.