View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 24, 2019, 07:54am
Official Forum Member

running lane - for throws only

USA Softball 18U tournament this past weekend.

First pitch of the game, lefty batter tries a drag bunt down first base line. F3 charges in to field the ball and picks it up literally off the chalk maybe 3 feet beyond where the running lane begins. She has the ball for less than a second when there is a collision between BR and F3. Both players go down in a heap.

I called the BR out on a tag. First base coach claims that F3 dropped the ball. I check with my partner who says F3 did indeed drop the ball. I asked if he thought she had it long enough for the out to stand and he did not think so. I overturned my original call and the BR was ruled safe at first.

Now defensive coach is complaining about the runner not being in the runner's lane which gets me to thinking about the play. My thoughts were such:
  • I didn't have INT since F3 was actually able to field the ball.
  • I didn't have INT under the crash rule - this was bang, bang two players colliding.
  • I didn't have OBS since F3 was making a play on a fair batted ball.

The part I did question was the runner's use of the running lane. But I think it applies more to thrown balls if/when the runner is hit with a thrown ball. There was a spike mark just past where the running lane begins that might indicate that the runner tried to veer to her right at the last moment. That spike mark was clearly in fair territory which is what the defensive coach argued.

Comments?