View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 18, 2019, 04:39pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
I do very little three man. Would the call at second be the U1 or U2? The U2 (I think I have the numbers right), is only seen for a very short time in this video. He has already made a break for it and can be witnessed exiting the field during the coaches happy dance.

My thinking is that this is the U1's call as he is in position to see that play clearly and you are correct, he never makes a call on it. I hadn't noticed that before.
U3 is on the line during this play. He has no responsibilities at second base during this play. He could conceivably call interference if R1 had hindered F6 from catching the deflected ball, but that's pretty much it. His only primary responsibility is to watch base touches at third base, and secondary responsibilities would be to watch other plays to help if required.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker