View Single Post
Old Tue May 28, 2019, 01:10pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
It's not always about easing the transition of officials from a two person system to the three person system. We have training sessions, workshops, seminars, camps, and scrimmages in place for those that want to learn the three person system.
I cannot speak for everyone's area. But we do not limit what people try to get exposed to with either system. Not sure why you would change a system for people that have no desire to work 3 person in the first place. We have IHSA state-run camps and it is up to each official to decide what camps they will attend.

Quote:
Why change the the whole system, a system that's worked fairly well for so long, for a small percentage of games officiated?

You want to upset the apple cart and have guys learn a three person system with only two officials so they can be successful in their three person games, ignoring the fact that many of those guys will be doing many many two person games on off nights and weekends, and many may never work a varsity game ever, certainly not a three person varsity game.

Not every basketball game played needs to look like an NBA or WNBA game. Not every basketball official needs to look like an NBA or WNBA official.

There's a lot of basketball to be played and officiated below the NBA and WNBA level, below the college level, below the high school varsity level, and yes, below the high school level. While lower level games may be training grounds for players and officials moving to higher level games, it shouldn't be the end all.
This is the part I 1000% agree with.

Quote:
Newly retired from my day job, with a chronic ankle injury, I worked a lot of middle school games this past season with many officials. Yes, some are rookies and are on their way up the ladder, but many are "middle school officials for life", and by that I mean, while they may be great officials, they just want to work afternoons at nearby local middle schools, avoiding rush hour travel, observations, and politics of the varsity "game". Others are very poor officials who will never see the light of a varsity game, many aren't naive and already know that, and may just want stay involved with the game of basketball, and make some easy cash. With the exception of those moving up the ladder, most don't need any easing of the transition of from a two person system to the three person system, most will never see a three person game. Never. Ever.
They will not see that during any varsity or college level game. They might see it in the summer during some AAU/Travel tournament, but not during when the lights are the hottest. It is up to each official to put in the effort to learn the system they want to be exposed to and on them to learn the system they are working to get acclimated to those levels.

I worked 3 person in my first year. My state was going to 3 person for all playoff games in my second year. I was asked if I was willing to work with some people so they could learn the system themselves. That was on me to say "sure" or not limit my knowledge. By my third year, I was working all varsity and every game was a 3 person game as well. No one had to teach me anything that I was not willing to learn. If you have to change an entire system for a few people, you are not serving the community very well. We have people in our area only going to camps so they can get their very basic qualifications just to keep their license.

Peace