View Single Post
Old Tue May 28, 2019, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I have no issues with getting into the rulebook or casebook about plays and situation during any time of the year. I just feel we should not live there on certain situations. If we know the definition of a fumble as opposed to a pass, then this situation should be easy to figure out. Until you actually pass the ball, the count for a throw-in continues. Just like I probably am not going to stop a count of a player bounces the ball on the floor when making a throw-in attempt, because it is clearly not a pass either. Yes is it possible to fumble the ball on a throw-in? It sure is, but is this situation going to cause you that much strife in your mind? It really shouldn't. Because whatever you call is not likely to cause much conflict if you explain it right. But if someone is clearly not passing the ball, then I am not going to stop the count to because it is unusual looking. They only have 5 seconds, something will have to be done soon. Not sure how you can restart the count as even an option? They have either violated by making a pass or they still have not made a pass. Make a decision and move on.

Peace
Great point Jrut. Let's focus on the norms.

Now, for weirdos like me that can't let stuff go....

You indicated "..have either violated by making a pass or..." How is it a violation by making a pass to one-self in this case? Case 4.44.3 Sit C indicates that it is a traveling violation to throw a ball in the air, take several steps, and catch it. However, we also know that the traveling and dribbling rules are not in effect for a throw-in (rule 4-42 note). In this strange case, then it would not be a traveling violation.They also have not made a pass because the ball has not moved from one player to another.

Back to what Jrut concluded, let's worry about what happens 99% of the time and not the other stuff. This case appears to neither fall under any defined rules nor any case plays. The actions are legal and the official has to discern when to end their 5-second count.