View Single Post
Old Tue May 28, 2019, 11:58am
Esteemed Forum Member

Tell Us Something We Already Don't Know ...

Four officials would be better than three. Three officials are better than two. Two officials are better than one (some states allow for one official games in extreme circumstances, not all, but some). Three officials are more expensive than two officials.

Tell us something we already don't know.

For argument sake, maybe a center would be better than a lead in a two person game? Are you doing it because it's really better, or because it eases the two to three person transition? If so, they're eventually going to have to learn the lead position.

Here in Connecticut, where 90 plus % of regular season varsity games, and all state tournament games before the quarterfinals, are two person games, the powers that be seem to be pleased with two person mechanics just the way we've been doing it for many years. Sure, a little tweak here and there, but pretty much the same for a very long time.

And as far as I know, 99% of interscholastic subvarsity games (including middle school) are two person games, as are 99 plus % of all travel and recreation games, adults and kids, both genders.

Games on all levels, have to be officiated. Many games will never see three person crews. Never. Ever.

It's not always about easing the transition of officials from a two person system to the three person system. We have training sessions, workshops, seminars, camps, and scrimmages in place for those that want to learn the three person system.

Even in states that have used varsity three person crews for a long time, I'm willing to bet that there are a lot more games (subvarsity, middle school, travel, recreation, etc.) officiated with two officials than with three officials.

Why change the the whole system, a system that's worked fairly well for so long, for a small percentage of games officiated?

You want to upset the apple cart and have guys learn a three person system with only two officials so they can be successful in their three person games, ignoring the fact that many of those guys will be doing many many two person games on off nights and weekends, and many may never work a varsity game ever, certainly not a three person varsity game.

Not every basketball game played needs to look like an NBA or WNBA game. Not every basketball official needs to look like an NBA or WNBA official.

There's a lot of basketball to be played and officiated below the NBA and WNBA level, below the college level, below the high school varsity level, and yes, below the high school level. While lower level games may be training grounds for players and officials moving to higher level games, it shouldn't be the end all.

Newly retired from my day job, with a chronic ankle injury, I worked a lot of middle school games this past season with many officials. Yes, some are rookies and are on their way up the ladder, but many are "middle school officials for life", and by that I mean, while they may be great officials, they just want to work afternoons at nearby local middle schools, avoiding rush hour travel, observations, and politics of the varsity "game". Others are very poor officials who will never see the light of a varsity game, many aren't naive and already know that, and may just want stay involved with the game of basketball, and make some easy cash. With the exception of those moving up the ladder, most don't need any easing of the transition of from a two person system to the three person system, most will never see a three person game. Never. Ever.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue May 28, 2019 at 01:07pm.