View Single Post
Old Tue May 07, 2019, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkupka View Post
On a tag, the ball has to be controlled throughout the tagging process (including after the tag)...
Not strictly true but it's not bad shorthand. I've posted this before, but since this thread is current I'll say it again. Per the book, you only need control for the moment of the tag or the force out. But on a real ball field where you have to make a judgment about control, if the ball came loose as a result of the tagging action, it's generally good judgment to judge that she didn't have control before the tag.

Similarly it's possible from reading the book alone that the outfielder had full control and then voluntarily opened her glove to let the ball hit the grass. On a field call it no catch.

As to your OP, if you judged control and then a subsequent action caused loss of control, you had the ruling wrong. If you had judged that the inability to control the ball through the ground indicated she never actually fully had it, then your ruling would be right. You seem convinced of your (second guessing) judgment here. Honestly, the reason I think you got no grief is that everyone else thought you got the call right. How were they supposed to know you only got it right because your bad judgment was balanced by kicking the rule ?