View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 24, 2019, 08:59am
Stirrer of the Pot

Agree with Richard. I can assure you that F3 is going to hear it and let her coach know that the BU is offering tips to the opposing team's runners. Why even open that can of worms? Yeah, there may be some coaches who appreciate that and would want the same advice given to his/her players. But there are a few of those coaches who will take exception, and may let your assignor know what you're doing.

That said, I recall reading a Referee magazine article from a MLB umpire who mentioned that he does advise coaches from a game management perspective to prevent a violation. His example was a pitcher who was close to balking, and he said he would let the pitcher's coach know that he needs to be aware of the potential issue. That may work in pro ball, but I just don't think it's a good idea at our levels.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker