View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 24, 2019, 12:59am
Official Forum Member

Game management questions #1 and #2

A couple things came up this month that I saw that I'd like to shop around for feedback. Answers that vary by level and ruleset are welcome.

Sitch #1: Is it good game management to communicate with a base coach or a player that they are dangerously close to leaving early?

Example - runner leaves base on a pitch, and the umpire gives every benefit of the doubt (as instructed) but it's possible that she's leaving early, and it's nearly certain that if she goes any earlier, she'll be called out. Communicate preventatively or just wait for the violation to "call itself?"

Sitch #2: Working with catchers - is there value in a short "pregame" with F2?

Example - I don't personally do this, but I saw/heard the following conversation (lower level NCAA play; paraphrased as I might not have heard the whole exchange): "Catch, let's work together today. I tell every catcher the same thing. If you have a question, just ask me. I'll tell you where a pitch is when it barely misses. If you think I'm missing a part of the plate, let me know, but if I tell you it's inside or whatever, don't tell coach those are on the plate. Let's work together and get strikes."

Now, I work verbally with my catchers WAY LESS than a lot of guys...partly due to my umpiring history. I started young and when I was working ball played by girls the same age as me, the old timers told me Rules 1 through 3 were all "Don't Talk to The Players." I talk more than I used to during the game to F2, but I still think this is way too much....am I wrong?

Last edited by teebob21; Wed Apr 24, 2019 at 01:03am. Reason: fixed typos