View Single Post
Old Sat Apr 20, 2019, 02:34pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Knowledge Is Power ... ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
If the rules committee really wants something to be enforced a certain way, they need to put it in the rules. Until they do, they have no one to blame but themselves for officials not enforcing years-old interpretations.
I agree with you and have held that same opinion for several years.

However, let's not overlook the importance of state and local trainers/interpreters/teachers/mentors/clinicians/instructors/observers, etc. Most that hold such important, responsible positions of authority are experienced veterans who should be aware of reasonably old Points of Emphasis, as well as reasonably old annual interpretations that don't make their way into the current casebook, or with reasonably old casebook plays that drop out of the current casebook for no apparent rational, or publicized reason. These experienced veterans were probably appointed, or elected, to such responsible positions because of their superior basketball officiating knowledge, including information that may not be in the current rulebook or casebook. These reasonably old Points of Emphasis and interpretations should not be ignored as part of the original training and/or continuous education process of the new members and veteran members.

That being said, the NFHS could do a much, much better job of keeping the rulebook and casebook up to date, and in line with the way they want rules and interpretations enforced. Some officials are visual learners and need a rulebook or casebook to help them to learn and/or improve their officiating skills. An up-to-date rulebook and casebook would also make the job of state and local trainers/interpreters/teachers/mentors/clinicians/instructors/observers, etc., a lot easier, with more likely successful outcomes of developing competent basketball officials.

If the NFHS isn't going to update the rulebook and casebook, I think it's a lot to ask state and local trainers/interpreters/teachers/mentors/clinicians/instructors/observers, etc., to "pick up the slack" and keep their state and local officials informed of "old" rulings, interpretations, emphases, etc.

Maybe it's too much to ask?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Apr 21, 2019 at 08:51am.