View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 17, 2019, 07:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
Over the years I've read here about some silly, picayune rules established re sportsmanship. However, this one is the stupidest, & apparently it does apply to all team sports, although apparently its implement'n in basketball is the most problematic. I can only conclude the Mass. Interscholastic Athletic Ass'n has a great desire to make trouble for game officials -- actually a desire to make trouble for everybody, but falling hardest on officials.
RG, I'm not sure where you're from. Is it MA?

I've confirmed with a friend that the viewing of handshakes after a softball game is in place:

"In Mass...per MIAA......we have been instructed to stand together between home plate and pitcher's circle and observe the team handshake."

I live in nearby NH, but I don't know the reasoning for that instruction.

Unless you know the whys and wherefores, it seems rather harsh to criticize from afar. Labeling this action as silly, trivial, stupid, problematical is unbecoming, especially if you have no idea as to why it was implemented in the first place. (I do not, BTW.)

To claim that a state sports agency would create a policy with a goal of causing trouble for officials, coaches, players, administrators is very small minded.