View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 11, 2019, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Re: the step backs play 1 & 2. NFHS rules if he's got the ball in two hands (or has in the official's mind ended his dribble) with that plant foot on the floor then pushes back into a hop if he doesn't land on 2 simultaneously its a travel.

NOW:

- That is the rule in NCAA and NFHS. FIBA, NBA, etc that is not a travel anymore. I concede it is an NCAA game so move on.

- The judgement elements. Official must clearly be able to see dribble ended. Ie if he steps back while 1 hand stayed on top or on side of ball he could in theory just be taking a long high dribble. So Official must be sure dribble ended with push foot still on floor. Official must also be sure feet came down seperately. If a game where they are officiating the defense that is a lot of if's.

- The when in Rome factor. Reality of spacial advantage is not realisitcally that drastic from landing on 2 and a quick 1-2. So ignoring/choosing to allow the move isn't creating that drastic of an advantage and is one the high level players/coaches/leagues are now expecting to be allowed regardless of how rule of written.

Could you call it a travel and be right by rule. You betcha. I don't have to make that determination anymore because regardless its not a travel in my rule set.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!