Thread: Whose call
View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 09, 2019, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Runners on 1st and 2nd, batted ball to right side, between F3 playing in and F4 playing normal depth. Batted ball hits R2 at a greater depth than F3, less depth than F4.

As the ball went between F3 and F4, is the call of primary opportunity to make a play decided by the PU or the BU in C slot?

NFHS if it matters.
I had this situation in an elimination game in a tournament a couple of years ago. I was BU. Defense was in a bunt defense posture with runners on first base and second base.

Lefty slap hitter faked a standard bunt and then pulled a ball past F3 which then hit R2 in the foot. PU called an immediate dead ball and R2 out and awarded BR first base. R1 back to second base.

I was awaiting some kind of argument from the offense's coach but it never came. So we played on.

After the game, I asked my partner about the call. There was no doubt about the ball hitting the runner. But I asked if he thought F4 would have been able to make a play on the ball. He said he didn't think so. I asked if he recalled where F3 was playing when the batter hit the ball. At that point I think his light bulb turned on and he realized that he probably should have let the play continue.

To answer the OP's question, I think it may depend upon who had a clear view of the action. PU would have a good view of F3/F4 and their relative horizontal positions. BU may have a superior view of the depth of the fielders. So whomever thinks they have a good view of the play would make a call if necessary.

Once my partner called a DB, all action ceased. Had the offense protested, I think we could have fixed it even if the defense wouldn't have liked it. But since no complaints, I let it go until our post game.

Last edited by Tru_in_Blu; Tue Apr 09, 2019 at 09:06pm.