View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 08, 2019, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebob21 View Post
This is the part that I agree with, but can't find rule support for. The timing of the pitch sequence is in 10.18, which calls for an immediate dead ball + ball on the batter, but the earlier parts of the rule cover the rest of the IP + DDB situations.

I sent this in to TPTB for clarification.
Quote:
Originally Posted by From the NCAA Official Hub; 2/5/19 clarification taking the signal}

TWO SECOND PAUSE WITH HANDS SEPARATED
(RULE 10.2.2):
The plate umpire has his/her hand up indicating “time” because the batter is not positioned and ready in the batter’s box. [B
During this “time out” the pitcher’s hands must be separated.[/B]
When the umpire’s hand drops to indicate that the batter is ready, the pitcher can take a signal from the catcher or her signal arm band or she can bring her hands together and pitch without having to pause for two seconds.
By this VVK agrees with Mark, Jr. that the hands must be separated until umpire allows "ready"; she disagrees that ANOTHER two second pause must happen if hands were separated during the "time out".

In earlier interpretations, Dee stated that 10-10-5 was a step-by-step procedure that must happen in that sequence; the pitcher cannot be at step #3 (hands together) when batter/catcher/umpire haven't reached and completed step #1 (all set and ready in proper box). Not sure where I can find that now, but that was the gist of her ruling.

Last edited by AtlUmpSteve; Mon Apr 08, 2019 at 08:21pm.