View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 05, 2019, 12:10pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebob21 View Post
Situation as follows: Batter has one foot in the box and is taking signs from base coach. The pitcher steps on the pitching plate, looks in to F2 to take a sign, then brings her hands together before the batter has both feet in the box. She then delivers a pitch (when the batter is ready) within 5 seconds of bringing her hands together. Rule 10.18 is the only place that I can find mention of the pitcher's responsibility to have hands apart until the batter completes her preliminaries.

In the above situation: Is this a violation by F1, and if so, is it an illegal pitch (delayed dead ball) or a violation of the timing rules (immedate dead ball per 10.18)?

Can this be handled the first time via preventative umpiring? (I think so.) If it happens again, see above....IP or timing violation?

Per Mark, Jr.:

"Per Rule 10.18 the pitcher must wait until the batter is in position before she brings her hands together.

If the pitcher is in position and the batter is still not ready, the PU should be giving the "Do Not Pitch" signal until the batter is in position.
If the batter takes longer than 10 seconds after the pitcher receives the ball to get in position, the PU should call "Time" and assess a strike on the batter.
If the pitcher brings her hands together while the PU is signaling "Do Not Pitch" or less than 2 seconds after the PU stops signaling "Do Not Pitch," the PU should signal a "Delayed Dead Ball" and announce "Illegal Pitch."

In my opinion, it is the responsibility of the PU, not the pitcher, to make sure that the pitcher, catcher, and batter are in position. If the PU is not giving the "Do Not Pitch" signal, you can't punish the pitcher for assuming that she is free to carry out a legal pitching routine."

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio