View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 01, 2019, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post

Didn't look the crew got together and discussed the inbound spot, seems like Doug had a bit of a brain fart and his partners didn't notice. But Izzo noticed and threw a fit and it Gaffney was telling him to get back in his box when Doug realized his mistake and ran over saying he was gonna correct it. So they were about to screw it up but ultimately the ball was inbounded at the correct spot.

The ball went OOB around the 3-point line and Doug was lined up to take it at the 3' mark outside the lane -- 11 feet 8 inches closer to the basket. Potentially a big difference if Duke had a lob going to the basket. Plus it is much more difficult to inbound from the corner in general.

Ultimately they got it right, so I doubt they get sent home for this rules hiccup.
They got it right based on the rules, but that might not advance them. Based on the Duke assistant coaches' reaction, it looks like they had inquired about where the ball would be put in play, and drew their play based on the assumption the ball would be inbounded at the 3 foot spot. To change that back (correctly, based on the rules) to the corner certainly put Duke at a disadvantage if they were planning on a different location, and of course thats not something they can fix and just say, "oh we screwed up, here's another full timeout."

I would be curious to know if they had informed the bench of the inbound spot or not, because otherwise, I thought this was one of the better officiated games in the tourney.