View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 16, 2003, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

I pretty much agree with Dave although with my regular umpiring partner, We use the second set of mechanics Dave described. We have worked at least 300 games together and we have the check with your partner and receive an answer routine so well practised that we can do it in the normal amount of time you would delay to make the call anyway. We usually don't even have to make a verbal request for help. My partner knows if I look his way on the swipe tag I want to know if he saw a tag.. The call is always the Base Umpires call. The only answer is tag or not, pulled foot or not. Most of the time coaches, players, and fans don't even know that the base umpire went for help. This is great when the coach asks the base umpire to get help from his partner. You already know what the answer is so there is no changing the call.

If I am working with a partner I don't have this kind of history with, I suggest doing it like Dave's third way. This is one of those things umpires should discuss in their pregame talk.

Have fun out there or don't go.
Gordon Raney