View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 26, 2019, 12:49pm
Administrator

My daily old age rant.

For those that do not know, my competitive sports in high school were basketball and golf, and a chronic back injury kept me from playing golf in college but I managed to play competitively with a handicap below 5 until Mark, Jr., and Andy came along.

Next week Mark, Jr., has a college softball DH at a college which shall remain nameless to protect the guilty. Since he had never umpired there he went to Google Maps to look at a satellite view of the game site. After comparing Google Maps with pictures on the college's athletic website and reading the college's athletic website, that the college had bought an existing 18 hole golf course and ripped up the back 9 to build an athletic complex where the college's softball diamond was constructed.

It was bad enough that the back 9 was destroyed for a softball diamond but the course was a Donald Ross course. Donald Ross is one of the gods of golf course design architects. He designed Pinehurst #2 and the Inverness Club in Toledo, two of the most famous golf coursed in the world; he also designed two courses in my home town of Youngstown, Ohio: Mill Creek Park Golf Course and Youngstown Country Club (where I caddied).

Oh the humanity of destroying a Donald Ross golf course for a softball field, !

MTD, Sr
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio