View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 19, 2019, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
Do the lower NCAA divisions use 3 umpires for regular season games? If so, I might try to continue my softball umpire career at that level. Do any USA Softball events or other travel tournaments use 3 umpires?
The American Rivers Conference (NCAA D3) works all games 3-man, starting this season. I'm not aware of any others in my corner of the country that do so (ignoring D1 conferences). USA works three-man for every game at Gold Nationals, and often in the later rounds of 16/18U A/B nationals.

3 person mechanics is a 50% increase in umpire cost, so many conferences and youth tournaments are reluctant to switch to it. Like Tru, I worked a lot of Juco and HS games for free as the third umpire to get more games in...and always with the blessing of the assigner. I've also worked 10U rec ball 3-man, so my daughter (a new umpire) could get a taste of it. Nothing better than a nine-year old F5 asking my why I was standing behind her.

Last edited by teebob21; Tue Mar 19, 2019 at 04:18pm.