View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 19, 2019, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
The whistle. Since the whistle occurred after the shooting motion started, the foul is considered during continuous motion.

If this it happens near the end of the game or at the end of a shot clock, monitor review would use the time of illegal contact to set the game clock, but you can't change the the determination of continuous motion even with replay showing the illegal contact started before the act of shooting.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
This is not consistent within the NFHS rules (unless they clarified from the book I'm looking at which isn't the current book), due to inconsistency within the NFHS rules.

There are two parts to the rule about a dead ball that are important.

Dead ball: The ball becomes dead

Article 5 : An officials whistle is blown (see exception a)

Article 7: A foul, other than a player or team control foul occurs. (exceptions a,b,c)

Exceptions: A: when a try or tap for goal is in FLIGHT.

Exceptions: B: (article 7) occurs by an opponent of a player who has started a try or tap for goal (is in the act of shooting), the trying motion must be continuous .......

To me these are inconsistent with each other. Also, the key word is the trying motion by be continuous. In this case, the trying motion wasn't a continuous motion as he stopped the motion to let his team mate fly by after he was fouled.