View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 19, 2019, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
I haven't looked it up myself yet. I agree with you, but someone I trust said it goes by the whistle and that it is an NCAA quirk in the rules.
I agree. This was a situation where a quirk in the rules and a late whistle by the official changed the entire flow of the game.

To me the foul is clearly before the shooter begins the act of shooting. In fact to me the foul actually occurs simultaneous with the catch of the ball by the shooter behind his left shoulder. The shooter then goes into what would have been the start of the shooting motion before he has to stop and restart that motion due to his team mate flying across in front of him.

The other thing I'm not sure about was the two whistles. Did the same official blow the whistle twice, or were there two late whistles on the play, possible one from the lead after seeing the contact before the center makes the call late.

To me this is something that should be reviewable to make sure the call is correct without consideration to the time left in the game.