View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 15, 2019, 07:31am
Call it as I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post
My story hasn't gone live yet but it'll be at inlandsports.wordpress.com
Are you saying the initial call was right or the overturn to safe based on obstruction?
Derryl the call that was made is Obstruction.

Here is a breakdown of the rule from the Rulebook

Rule 2 (Definitions) SECTION 36 OBSTRUCTION (DEFENSE)
Obstruction is the act of the defensive team member that hinders or impedes a batter's attempt to make contact with a pitched ball or that impedes the progress of a runner or batter-runner who is legally running bases, unless the fielder is in possession of the ball or is making the initial play on a batted ball. The act may be intentional or unintentional, physical or verbal.

Rule 8 (Batter-Runner and Runner) SECTION 4 (RUNNERS ENTITLED TO ADVANCE) Article 3(A runner is entitled to advance without liability to be put out when)-b

b. a fielder not in possession of the ball or not making an initial play on a batted ball, impedes the progress of a runner or batter-runner who is legally running bases. Obstructed runners are still required to touch all bases in proper order, or they could be called out on a proper appeal by the defensive team. Should an act of interference occur following any obstruction, enforcement of the interference penalty would have precedence.

PENALTY: (Art. 3b) When any obstruction occurs (including a rundown), the umpire will signal a delayed dead ball. The ball will remain live.
a. If the obstructed runner is put out prior to reaching the base that would have been reached had there not been obstruction, a dead ball is called and the obstructed runner and each other runner affected by the obstruction will be awarded the base or bases which would have been reached, in the umpire's judgment, had there not been obstruction. An obstructed runner may not be called out between the two bases where she was obstructed.

EXCEPTIONS:
1. When an obstructed runner, after the obstruction, safely obtains or returns to the base she would have been awarded, in the umpire's judgment, had there been no obstruction and there is a subsequent play on a different runner, the obstructed runner is no longer protected between the bases where she was obstructed and may be put out.