View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 07, 2019, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

help request: non-NF game

Since my NF season ended 3 weeks ago, I have not officiated any games; however, at the kind request of a sponsor of a local youth weekend tournament I will be a member of the officiating crew. The tourney will be held in a city about 30 minutes from where I normally work games, so I'll not be familiar with the other refs nor coaches nor teams. Games are 5th thru grade levels, boys/girls, 2 x 20 min running clock. I wondering if I should employ my typical NF mechanics, mindset, and rigor to these games or should I "go with the flow"/blasay? I shudder at getting lazy and doing things like "bouncing the ball across the lane" on endline throw-ins, not switching on shooting fouls, dilligently managing the time for granted time-outs on coaches who delay, calling "palming the ball", and non-calling a shoulder high dribble that does not 'come to rest', and, etcetera...

The sponsor told me that some of the refs will be "local guys who just-refs -the- kids", but the sponsor feels that certified refs can help to improve the quality of the games, ergo he asked me and two others--likely pairing us with the non-certs refs. Because contentious issues invariably arise and require strict resolution/defensibility during the course of most games, I am curious as to how me and the other non-cert ref will interact to promote their resolution?

Thanks in advance for any advice from your collective experiences, maybe I'm over-thinking it, or maybe I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill? I really don't want my NF-practiced skills and mindset to erode. At any rate...

Last edited by Kansas Ref; Thu Mar 07, 2019 at 08:23pm.