View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 07, 2019, 10:40am
Esteemed Forum Member

Expletive Words ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
What if they were 11 F bombs at you in complete succession? Gonna rattle off the T signal with your hands 11 quick times when he is done?
I don't count expletives. A player calling me a "f**k**g a**h**e" doesn't get a technical foul for each expletive word. I don't believe that that's the purpose and intent of the unsporting rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I'm not going to fire away with technicals like a machine gun, but I'm not automatically stopping at two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
If he is swearing at me ... four rapid fire f-bombs in a row will get him only one (not four) technical foul (probably flagrant). After I report the technical foul to the table, and after the player with the broken nose has a few seconds to compose himself (having time to process that he just got penalized for the first tirade), if he swears at me ... again, I will charge him a second technical foul (even if the first one was flagrant).
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
I am not believing that you would ignore a player swearing loudly out of anger/frustration. Not buying that you would allow players to continuously swear out loud an entire game just because it is not at you/opponent.
Never said anger/frustration (that, at minimum, would lead to a discussion with said player), I was describing an extreme injury situation. I seldom use the f-word, it's how I was brought up in my Irish Catholic family with a Lutheran raised mother, where my brother and I weren't even allowed to utter "Shut up" to each other, and where I once repeated a friend's curse using the f-word and got my mouth washed out with soap. Never once heard either my father or my mother ever use any curse word. Never. Not even once. Not even a "damn".

That being said, if I were to receive a blow to the face that resulted in a broken nose, or dropped a gigantic rock on my foot, or fell on some ice and broke a leg, I can assure you that the f-word would probably come rolling out of my mouth.

But when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, he that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her. (John 8:7)

(Note: I once confessed to my pastor that while stuck in my every day horrible traffic commute, that I would occasionally use the f-word and the word "God" in the same sentence. After asking where my commute took place, he said that it was completely understandable. No penance, but he suggested that whenever such a situation occurred, rather than swear, instead I should say a prayer that the other driver gets home safely. I followed his advice never swore again in traffic, said a few prayers, and had much more enjoyable commutes with a much lower blood pressure. My pastor is a wise man.)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Mar 07, 2019 at 11:13am.