View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 25, 2019, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
If we agree that the defender lost LGP, can't this still be a foul on the offense? Rule 4-23-1 states "Guarding is the act of legally placing the body in the path of an offensive opponent". I interpret that to mean that LGP is required to obtain a charge call. But not all PC fouls are charges.

If A1 grabs a rebound and goes full speed the length of the court, with B1 alongside him, but having never obtained LGP, and A1, frustrated with B1's close proximity, shoves him, that is a PC foul on A1, correct?
Your example is absolutely a PCF. Despite not having established LGP, B1 did not illegally impede A1. Given that, he was entitled to his space on the floor as much as A1 was entitled to his. Thus if A1 shoves B1 out of his entitled space (even if both are moving), foul on A1.

Regarding the OP, in my opinion the defender did not have LGP and illegally impeded the ball handler. But for the sake of your question, if we assume that the defender did have LGP and did NOT illegally impede the ball handler, then we have two judgment options: 1) incidental contact, no call, 2) the ball handler illegally contacted the defender (forearm, shoulder, push-off, or whatever you saw), PCF. If given only these two choices, I would opt for incidental contact, as I didn't see anything particularly egregious on the part of the ball handler.