View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 21, 2019, 11:16am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Applicable NCAA-Men's Case Plays

A.R. 261. Who is responsible for behavior of spectators?

RULING: The home management or game committee is responsible for the behavior of spectators. The officials may call an administrative
technical foul on either team when its supporters act in such a way as to interfere with the proper conduct of the game. Such technical fouls
do not count as team fouls.
(Rule 10-2.8)

A.R. 262. Team B is the visiting team. Just before the free-thrower B1 releases the ball, B1 is hit by a coin thrown by a spectator.

RULING: When an official has knowledge as to which team’s follower(s) committed the act, he shall assess an administrative technical foul
against that team.
(Rule 10-2.8.c Penalty and Note 1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Applicable NFHS Case Play

2.8.1 SITUATION:

What guidelines should be exercised by the officials when spectators' actions are such that they interfere with the administration of the game?

RULING: The rules book states "the official may rule fouls on either team if its supporters act in such a way as to interfere with the proper conduct of the game." It is significant to note the word used is "may." This gives permission, but does not in any way imply that officials must rule technical fouls on team followers or supporters for unsporting acts. Thus, while officials do have the authority to penalize a team whose spectators interfere with the proper conduct of the game, this authority must be used with extreme caution and discretion. While the authority is there, the official must rarely use it, because experience has demonstrated that ruling hasty technical fouls on the crowd rarely solves the problem and may, in fact, result in penalizing the wrong team because the official may not have proper knowledge as to which team's supporters were responsible for the unsporting act.

As we can see there is a slight difference between the NCAA Men's (I do not have my NCAA Women's in front of me but I am almost certain that it is the same as the NCAA Men's) and NFHS Rulings.

In NCAA the Officials SHALL access a TF and in NFHS the Officials MAY rule fouls on either team.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio