View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 21, 2019, 08:27am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebob21 View Post
My thought is that all INT should be an immediate dead ball. This isn't NBA basketball, we don't need continuation.
This is nothing new...in that other sport played with a smaller white ball. The delayed dead ball allows the defense to make a play on a runner and take the option of the play if it's to their benefit.

It's no different than umpire interference on a catcher's throw. Let it play out, and see if the defense is still able to retire the runner. If they do, why take that out away from them?

Yeah, I do think making this particular batter interference violation a delayed dead ball is rather strange, since the infraction would normally happen well before the pitch is delivered. Why wait?

Then again, I've always felt that an illegal pitch violation when a pitcher steps on the plate with her hands already together should be an immediate dead ball as well. Why wait for her to then separate her hands, look in for the signal, check her arm band, look back at her catcher, put her hands together, take a deep breath...
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker