Thread: Illegal Screen?
View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 12, 2019, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
I disagree with this. You are advocating that any offensive player that stands between a defender and an offensive player that said defender wants to guard must be either (1) moving away from the defender OR (2) remain still otherwise any contact is a foul on the defender.

This is contrary to the principle that all players have a right to place on the floor on a first come first serve basis and screening principles apply only during the act of screening.
I think you meant offense there.

You are right about what I'm advocating. That is the fundamental concept of screening.

This is not contrary at all to the concept that players have a right to a space on the floor. The offensive player is moving to a new space on the floor and only gets there legally if they meet the rules that define getting there legally. When a screen occurs, it has to be stationary, by rule, unless the screener is moving directly away.

You seem to think a screen is something more specific than it is.

Quote:
ART. 1 . . . A screen is legal action by a player who, without causing contact, delays or prevents an opponent from reaching a desired position.
This player IS screening. If the offensive player is moving (in any directly other than away from the defender), it is not a legal screen if contact occurs. A screen need not be a deliberate act. A screen occurs when an offensive player's position or actions block the path of an opponent.

If it were any other way, you'd have screeners pretending not to set a screen to avoid the requirements of screening.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Tue Feb 12, 2019 at 04:10pm.