View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 12, 2019, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

This is one problem with the forum, non one will just answer a simple question. They usually just provide more questions and in most cases, an answer can be garnered, but not in this case. That is why I asked for an opinion (when I said "what do you think?)

I am familiar with the rules and feel that this play may not have a specific rule to apply to it.

"Lets say only A2 and B1 are involved and all other players are "behind" them on the other half of the court. What do you have?" - In this case (not mine) I presume that B1 is inbounds and even able to guard A2. I would call him a primary defender when A2 gets the ball. But your question is not my case.

If a primary defender has not been established how can you have a secondary defender? The only way is an uneven fast break. - Maybe you can't, however you are not answering the question. Maybe another question regards when and how a primary defender is defined. Can a primary defender ever be out of bounds? In this play are there neither primary nor secondary defenders? Is that ever possible once an offense has been established?

In the OP, what would you rule and why? If you think B1 is a primary defender in the RA, then you have an offensive foul. If you think B1 is a secondary defender in the RA, then you have a defensive foul. If you think that B1 is neither a primary nor a secondary defender, then you have found a loophole in the rules regarding the RA......and you would have to make some sort of call based on something. I guess you could no-call it but that will anger more people than not.