View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 11, 2019, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Close but not quite correct. The TECH is what causes the coach to focus more on coaching, not the act of having to sit down. And refs would call more techs if it didn’t require having to go over there and tell the coach to sit.
I would argue that you too are close but not quite correct. You're right about the Tech being the cause of coaches focusing on coaching, however I think there are very few techs if any not called because the official doesn't want to make the coach sit down. I've never once considered that when making a decision as to what to call. So would removal of the seatbelt allow officials to call more techs? I'd like to hope not. That should have no part of the decision. If a coach is acting out of line, then use the tools you have the way they are intended.

Now with all that said, the discussion in this thread has actually moved me from pro-seatbelt rule to neutral. A lot of good points made for eliminating it, especially the idea that it would be one less thing distracting us from actually calling the game, but I do agree with Paintguru's point that the bench warning option eases any guilt that some (not me) might feel about a seatbelt rule. I'm still in favor of the rule for now, but I'm riding the fence a bit.