View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 10, 2019, 12:07pm
Administrator

Shot Clock Thoughts

My shot clock experience:

1) Women's college basketball (NAGWS and NCAA Women's) from 1974 to 2008,

2) Men's jr. college/NAIA and NCAA Div. III jr. var.) from 1993 to 2008,

3) Girls' H.S. (CIF) from 1982-84, and

4) USA Basketball (FIBA) from 1992 to 2002 (1999 Special Olympics World Summer Games).

I had absolutely no problem officiating games using a Shot Clock. That said, I do not like a Shot Clock. Lets start from January 01, 1950, just in the United States and Canada alone, there have been millions upon millions basketball games played at the H.S. level, men's college level (pre-Shot Clock era), and AAU and YBOA youth tournaments. The number of "slow down" games as they are called are too insignificant to make the Shot Clock a necessity.

Every time a "slow down" game makes the news there is an out cry for the need for a Shot Clock. There is no need for a Shot Clock at the H.S. and youth level and that includes FIBA Rules, and personally, I do not see the need for a Shot Clock in either men's and women's college but that is neither here nor there as far as I am concerned.

I guess I am old school when I say that I see no problem with a team taking the air out of the Ball at the end of the game to preserve the win.

Just the two cents of an old man, LOL.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio