Thread: 2019-2020 POE's
View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 07, 2019, 01:59pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
It is on my personal email so I don't have the exact text right this second but it went something very close to:
I will be traveling for work most of January and some of February for my day job and will not be able to take calls or answer texts/emails until after 3 or 4(?) each day.
went on to say something in that email very close to
I'll be working on post season assignments starting mid january so my nights will be filled and I will not have extra time to assist you in finding replacements out a week or two.

The next email sent this week said (paraphrased)

I might need help due to cancellations Friday, so if you can help send me a text. Only a text with your name and yes I can work, please do not send me emails, and definitely do not call me.

I don't know, maybe I read too much into it. But that doesn't exactly sound like someone who wants to chat with officials about their evals and/or questions about post season assignments and how they can get better. It is just frustrating because you have that, and anytime I've called the boys' association contact person (we have a Boys Association and a Girls Union in our state), he's also been very short and verging on rude to me about my pretty valid and simple questions. I can see why some guys would feel like the state doesn't support them, on top of dealing with the crap from fans/coaches on a nightly basis. I could go on and on with more examples but that has been the general consensus from every official who has brought this stuff up this season.
I've worked for supervisors who say never to call them unless it's an emergency situation. I've worked for supervisors who say never to text them, only email them. I've worked for supervisors who have said never to ask them about your schedule or why you are or aren't getting games. I've worked for supervisors who contact you before putting you into a last minute assignment and others who expect you take an assignment the morning of if you are not blocked out.

It's all part of the business to navigate the nuances, quirks, and personalities of those who assign us games.

Last edited by Raymond; Thu Feb 07, 2019 at 02:28pm.